Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 - Ready or Not, Here It Comes

2011 - A new year. It is coming tonight, whether or not we are ready for it. Posts on Facebook and recent conversations with friends reveal varied responses to the coming new year. Some can't wait for the fresh start and are filled with hope that 2011 will be better than 2010. One friend is actually saying good-bye to 2010 with no regrets. An impressively bold statement. It caught me by surprise. I looked at my 2010 and I wondered if I could make a similar statement. Uhm, NO! This year was not an awful year by any means. I've certainly lived rougher years. But, I do have a couple of regrets and things I wished I'd done completely different :o)

Looking forward, do I have high hopes for 2011? Not in particular. Don't be depressed. I just don't have huge specific achievements that I'm striving for this year. New Years is the season for resolutions and promises. We know the drills - lose weight, work less, etc. How many of us actually keep those resolutions? And when we don't, end up feeling like complete and utter failures?

I thought this year why not set some goals and objectives which are attainable, but a little less measurable. Forget the "I'm going to lose 25 lbs by March on the Lemon cleanse diet" goals, which set us up for failure. Instead, focus on personal change and improvements. Am I confusing you? Here is what I mean.

2011 Goals and Objectives
I will . . .
- watch less television
- read more books
- take more walks
- remember my vitamins more days than I forget (Note: I discovered the adult version of a chewable daily vitamin. I actually look forward to taking the darn thing now.)
- spend time with friends
- eat breakfast more days than I don't (Note: After all, Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day)
- drink more water and eat more fruits and vegetables
- decide on whether or not to pursue a Masters Degree
- continue to reduce my debt
- practice my active listening skills (Note: I think this may be a permanent life goal for me. I'm amazed at how easily I tune people out (via multi-tasking) or assume I know what they are going to say next and jump in to the conversation before they are finished talking.)

I expect the list will shift around in terms of priority. Some things may even be crossed off and new ones added. I suppose I see this as a living contract between me, myself, and I. The goal is no guilt, just lessons learned and improvement achieved.

Happy New Year to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment