Saturday, July 14, 2012

Question of the Day: "Are you married?"

Do I have something written on my forehead, which says, "This woman is single.  Talk to her about marriage?"  It started this morning with the Hertz bus driver.  The initial questions were general enough - I expect ones he asks just about everyone who climbs on his bus wanting a ride from Hertz drop off to O'Hare - How are you?  Where are you heading?  Where are you from?  And then the surprise bonus question - "Are you married?"  Now my standard reply to that particular questions is, "I haven't met Mr. Right, yet."  To my surprise the conversation continued.  Roosevelt (the driver) told me, "not to worry.  It would happen.  I was young with lots of time left."  As I got off the bus, he reminded me, "Make sure you marry someone who will take care of you.  Even better, a partnership where you take care of each other."

Fast forward through my day.  6:00pm I'm home crashed on my couch watching a movie and there is a knock on my front door.  At the door is a salesman - Ahmad ? - who is part of a Fresh Start program selling magazines.  Side note - I get suckered into these buy 3 magazine deals about every 10 years.  So, it was time :o)  Anyway, Ahmad was all kinds of nice and a mouth filled with flattery.  (Oh yes, I know this is all part of the sales pitch.) In fact, he offered to marry me on the spot once he knew I was single.  Ahmad assured me that I was exactly his type of woman and that my freckles (which I believe he also called tiger stripes) were "cute."   I laughed, bought the 3 magazines, and wished him well on his life journey.

So, I want to know, is there something written on my forehead?  Because two times in the same day feels a bit excessive to get the "Are you married" question.  Oh well, I hadn't been asked in a while, so perhaps my standard answer needed some practice and polish.  Who knows perhaps Mr. Right will be asking the question one day soon :o) 

P.S.  I learned today from Ahmad that I have an accent.  Guess after listening to the drawl of the average Kentuckian, my fast paced "California Girl" manner of speaking sounded pleasing to his ear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment