Sunday, September 18, 2011

Louisville - Home?

Settling in to a new home, a new place, a new job.  It is more adjusting than I planned.  I know it is one of the reasons why I am reluctant, STILL, to hang pictures on the walls and set up my home office.  Hanging those pictures and organizing my office are the final tasks, which, when completed, will declare, "I'm settled in Louisville, KY."  And, "I am home."

Home to me for 35.5 years (I started the new job in Kentucky exactly 3 days after my half birthday) was Southern California.  Born in San Diego.  Moved to Oceanside before I was 4.  Moved to Fallbrook the summer between 6th and 7th grade (Ugh.  Not great memories with those years.)  Moved to San Diego for 3 years at SDSU.  Back to Fallbrook, living with my parents for 1 year (you remember that 1st broke year after college - job hunting, poor with student loans no longer deferred).  Renting my first place - a small cottage in Fallbrook.  Then apartments in Vista, Carlsbad, and Oceanside.  And the final California rental - a Condo in Vista.  See, I never wandered far. 

Many of you requested pictures of my new house.  Confession.  I've been using my lack of a camera cable (needed to download pictures from camera to computer) as an excuse.  Truth?  Sending or posting pictures means I'm REALLY living here.  This is a permanent change, not a temporary sojourn.  This is not an adventure.  This is my reality.

Please don't worry about me.  I am okay.  I am settling in and adjusting.  The process is just longer than I ever imagined.  There are many things which I am enjoying in Louisville - Opening Night at the Races (launched Derby season), Louisville Palace (Summer Series - Old Jimmy Stewart Movies), Southeast Christian (church), The Irish Rover (Pub/ Restaurant), Heine Brothers (Coffee), New Friends, the best Lane Bryant ever, Bourbon 101class (OMG - Cherry Infused Bourbon - YUM!), and my neighborhood (gardens, wonderful houses, parks).


Eventually, I hope, one day soon.  Louisville, KY will truly feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment