Saturday, September 3, 2011

Lost Keys . . . Lost Mind?

Ginkgo Biloba may end up on my shopping list for the next trip to Whole Foods.  I believe my memory requires boosting UP!  I know some of you are thinking, "There is no way Emily forgets anything . . .  she is perfect and her memory is superb."  (Ahem - According to Web by E, arrogance and delusion could be a side effect of an over-tasked brain.)

Over-tasked.  Probably an understatement these days.  So much going on at work.  Starting to make major changes in the arena of healthy living - personal trainer, gym membership, and meeting with a dietician/ nutritionist.  Settling in to being "home" in Louisville.  Sigh.  Just a lot.

Let me recap for you my brain blank moments
          Thursday.  My boss (we shall call him M) is in town.  He offers to take my direct team to lunch.  We choose Olive Garden (got to love those salads and breadsticks).  As I left my office I grabbed my keys, wallet, Greenlee badge (so I can scan and get back into the building), and we are off.  We pile into two vehicles - M's rental car and T's (one of my direct reports) car.  I drop my keys into the side pocket, put the wallet on my lap, and wear the badge around my neck.  Lunch is tasty.  Conversation enjoyable.  Back into the cars and back to work we go.  Fast forward 5 hours.  M stops by my office to say good-bye.  About 15 minutes later, I start to get ready to leave.  Grabbing briefcase, water bottle, and . . . "Damn, where are my keys?"  I open drawers, dig through my briefcase, look under papers . . . no keys.  I pause a moment and sort through the memories of the day.  Trying to remember the last time I saw my keys.  LIGHTS GO ON.  PANIC SETS IN.  The sound of the keys dropping into the side pocket of the car.  M's rental car, which is he is currently driving on the way back to the airport AND rental car return.  Quickly I call him . . . he answers.  No, he hasn't returned the car.  Yes, he will come back.  Keys restored to their rightful owner.  YES!!!!
          Friday Morning.  Ready to head to work.  Grabbing my briefcase, water bottle, and . . . "Damn, where are my keys."  Once again, I'm digging through the briefcase, lifting up piles of stuff . . . no keys.  At this point, I know I'm going to be late.  So, I send in a text.  "I'm going to be late to work today because I lost my keys."  Sure, they are going to believe that one.  TOTALLY true though! :o)  Eventually, I do find them - after tearing the couch apart and finding them wedged into the far back.  God alone knows how they managed to find their way into that odd position.
          Saturday Afternoon.  Picking up dry cleaning.  Give the girl my receipt.  She goes and grabs my 4 items, hangs them on the copper bar by the register, and we take care of the payment process.  I take my card back and walk to the exit.  Pausing when I am about to push open the door.  I'm missing something - the DRY CLEANED ITEMS.  Yep.  Paid and then walked away.  I turn around and with much chagrin grab the items off the copper bar and walk back out of the building.

Do you need any more proof?  I think I've lost my mind.  The question is . . . will I remember the Ginkgo Biloba?

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Emily! I keep forgetting handouts for my students. Sometimes I forget to even make them, but usually, I print them and I remember they're on the printer right when I need to hand them out. I hope the craziness settles soon for you. Wishing you success on the health front, too!! I am counting myself lucky to be maintaining at this point, but I'll be able to slow down next month and refocus on ME :)

    ReplyDelete