Saturday, March 5, 2011

Louisville Home

Louisville home. What will it look like? Where will it be located?

I found a neighborhood this last week called Chester Hill. It is is between two Louisville communities called Highlands and St Matthews. It a neighborhood with coffee, galleries, and a bookstore all within walking distance. I thought I found the perfect place last Thursday. It is 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, 2 stories, a small backyard, basement, a garage, and a front porch. In a great neighborhood for walking. Close to work, downtown, Louisville, and Frankfort Street (which I'm told has great restaurants and pubs).

Then today, I checked out a condo. It reminds me a lot of the one I lived in at Vista. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, plus a den. Lots of windows.

Here is the break down of positives and negatives for each property
Positives
- @ The Chester Hill property: The community where it resides, 3 bedrooms (1 for me, 1 for guests, and 1 for the office), hard wood floors, simple yard, it is a house - no sharing of walls or floors, lots of space . . .
- @ The Condo: 2 full bathrooms, a large room for the kitchen, living room, and dining area (great for entertaining and visiting with visitors while cooking), well decorated (great paint colors), felt homey, compact space, washing and dryer included with the rent. Low heating/ cooling costs ($90-$120/ month) and water included, easy access garage

Negatives
- @ The Chester Hill property: Cost to heat and cool (due to the 2 stories and old building/ windows - $300-$400/ month), upkeep of the yard is my responsibility, since it is a larger property it will require immediate purchase of some things (which although are needful and long term investments, were not part of my original budget - waster & dryer, additional furniture for the living room and dining room), the .5 bathroom is actually only a toilet and it is in a closet (a real WC!!!) close to the kitchen which is where people will need to wash their hands, the garage (steep driveway - possible problem with ice and rain) . . .
- @ The Condo: Not close to any community. Will need to drive to everywhere. Smaller space. Not any close walking areas (that I saw anyway).

I don't intend to rent forever. My plan is for a year and then find a place to buy. So, I could always rent the condo (save money, etc.) and then buy later in the neighborhood which I like. Of course, as a friend pointed out, the Condo could leave me feeling isolated.

What to do?!!

1 comment:

  1. I vote house---
    Based on the fact of location and charm

    ReplyDelete