Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Softball Memories

Softball. Softball. Softball. I truly love this game. Tonight we won. Sadly, I did not hit well. I'm blaming my cough. But, I'm afraid I'm in a hitting slump. (shhh . . . don't tell!)

My first softball season was 4th Grade. An ambitious year - I played softball and was in the Girl Scouts. Oddly enough, I didn't continue either after that year. I have no idea why. Anyway, I played right field. I still remember the thrill of my first pop fly catch and my coaches surprise reaction. I wasn't the best player on the team :o) It was a 9 year hiatus before I returned to the field again.

Church league in Fallbrook. I think I played for 2 years, maybe 3. My memory isn't recalling those specific details at this particular moment. It was fun. The league only required one girl per team. So, initially, I think the guys expected me to be the "token" girl. I surprised them and could actually play :o) I played catcher. I loved (and still love) watching the ebb and flow of the game from this position. All the pieces coming together - defense, offense, TEAMWORK!

Memory: Playing catcher. Runner on 2nd. 1 out. Ball is hit. Guy running for home. The ball comes flying in. I catch it and stand ready to tag the runner. (Typically it is a slide and avoid game). Imagine my surprise when the runner just keeps running and literally bowls me over. As I'm flying through the air I think, "DON'T drop the ball." Then my head hits the ground and I black out. When I come to, the guys are grouped around me. Their faces worried. I'm conscious enough to know I've dropped the ball. And then the pain - head, back, body. Aches! Hurts! I tried super hard not to cry. But, I failed . . . the sobs came pouring out. I got up and made the effort to walk it (sobs, pain, etc.) off. Meanwhile, some of the other guys are holding Damien back from taking out the guy who hit me. "You don't hit girls," he said. I knew, then, I was a member of this team. :o) (As a side note: Ironically, the guy who took me out was the pastor of the church we were playing. Guess he was super competitive and didn't heed the verse - blessed are the meek.)

Another hiatus from Softball. Until The Fields, my church in Carlsbad. I think now I've been playing on and off for the last 6 years or so. The players change each season and we've played in a variety of leagues - Carlsbad, Vista, and San Marcos. My love for the game continues. I'm still the catcher. Observing the game, and occasionally making spectacular plays at home.

1 comment: